Rock Hill has a great coffeehouse ambiance and is a happening lunch spot.
They’re a a great place for a meeting over coffee or tea, and the owner is a big supporter of the Green Party. They have soy milk available for creamer, and are gracious about custom making sandwiches, so long as you go when they aren’t really busy (lunchtime can be jammed on the weekends). Often there is a vegan soup available as a daily special.
Their bread is fantastic, and it’s all vegan except for ones that contain cheese (and they’re obviously named, like Jalapeno Cheddar).
They’re considerate enough to have a menu section “For Herbivores” – excerpts as follows:
10. THE GARDEN SANDWICH is fairly self-explanatory. Our chef-made Pesto or Hummus (your choice, either or both) spread on our Farm Bread with Green Pepper, Tomato, Sprouts, Calamata Olives, Red Onion and Leaf Lettuce and drizzled with Balsamic Vinaigrette. A myriad of wonderful and satisfying garden flavors. $ 9.50
Author’s Note: Pesto likely contains Parmesan cheese and is vegetarian but not vegan. Choose the hummus if you are vegan.
12. AVOCADO SPINACH SANDWICH Fresh Avocado, Cucumber, Tomato, topped
with Bean Sprouts and fresh Spinach Leaves drizzled with Orange- Peanut Dressing. Served on warmed Sourdough bread. $ 9.95
14. THE SMITH’S ENLIGHTENED OFFSPRING Our vegetarian answer to our most popular sandwich (the Granny Smith). Fresh Apple slices on warmed Cinnamon Raisin with Sharp Cheddar and Honey Dijon Mustard. Delicious! $ 9.95
Author’s Note: Obviously, this sandwich has cheddar cheese and is vegetarian but not vegan.
There are also some salads here and occasionally the soup of the day is vegan. Here are other menu options:
2. TOAST SAMPLER A great opportunity to try a few different kinds of Rock Hill bread. We’ll toast up as many as three different varieties of bread (you choose; Sourdough, Jewish Rye, Farm, Cinnamon Raisin, Pane Bello, Pane Paesano, Sesame Semolina & Whole Wheat Farm). We’ll serve them up with your choice of two spreads; Cabot Butter, Cream Cheese, Beth’s Jams or Organic Peanut Butter. $ 4.95
4. TEXAS TOAST is REALLY thick, hand-sliced Farm bread, grilled! Our Farm takes about twenty-two hours to make from start to finish. You get two monster slabs of Farm with your choice of any two; Butter, Cream Cheese, Beth’s Jam or Organic PB. $ 4.95
Depending on whether you eat jam/jelly, the only option is peanut butter, but their bread is super awesome.
62. GARDEN SALAD Romaine, Red Leaf & Spinach with Green Peppers, Bean Sprouts, Red Onion, Dill Havarti, Tomato & Balsamic Vinaigrette. $ 8.95
Opt for no cheese and perhaps substitute sliced avocado.
66. SPINACH & AVOCADO SALAD Fresh Spinach leaves with Cucumber slices, Tomato and Avocado, mixed with Bean Sprouts and dressed with our own Orange-Peanut Dressing and warmed Sourdough. $ 9.95
The following soups, when on special, are vegan, per Black Diamond Caterers:
- Roasted Garlic Vegetable
- Tex Mex (Black Bean)
- Butternut Corn Chowder
- Seasonal Vegetable
- Split Pea
- Tomato Cous Cous
- Roasted Vegetable with Lima Beans
- Vegetarian Chili
Rock Hill says there are lots of fruit, nuts and fresh veggies in the back and that customers are welcome to create their own salads. The Balsamic vinaigrette is vegan.